Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. Today I thought it would be fun to share with you a story, then a study, and ending with a song from one of my favorite artists. So an early Happy Valentine’s Day to all you lovers out there…and don’t forget to check out my post earlier this week containing custom Facebook designs for you to use.
Alright I lied. The first one is not a story, it’s just a bunch of fun facts…I had to do it.
- The ancient Romans celebrated the Feast of Lupercalia on February 14th in honor of Juno, the queen of the Roman gods and goddesses. Juno was also the goddess of women and marriage.
- Many believe the ‘X’ symbol became synonymous with the kiss in medieval times. People who couldn’t write their names signed in front of a witness with an ‘X.’ The ‘X’ was then kissed to show their sincerity.
- Girls of medieval times ate bizarre foods on St. Valentine’s Day to make them dream of their future spouse.
- In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who would be their Valentine. They would wear this name pinned onto their sleeves for one week for everyone to see. This was the origin of the expression “to wear your heart on your sleeve.”
- In 1537, England’s King Henry VII officially declared February 14th the holiday of St. Valentine’s Day.
I came across this study when listening to NPR, specifically Talk of the Nation: Science Friday. Apparently our eyes are a dead giveaway when pointed in the direction of someone we care for….although you’d have to get REALLY close to see it. Check out the story HERE and the video below.
Martin Sexton is my favorite artist. In my opinion he is one of the best acts I’ve ever seen live. Today I’d like to share a song called “Can’t Stop Thinkin Bout You” which feels a bit like film noir and shows that Valentine’s Day is not a cakewalk for some. (let it be know there is a trumpet solo…although there is no trumpet) Then to cheer you up I’ve got a couple upbeat songs called “Love Keep Us Together” and my favorite, the one that got me hooked on the artist, “Glory Bound”…Enjoy! There is no video with the audio.
“Can’t Stop Thinkin Bout You”